Sunday, November 2, 2008

List-It

In an effort to maintain a side-project, learn more Python (which is getting damn confusing with the Ruby I was learning a few months ago), and finally have a clean app to keep my To-Do list online .... I present List-It.

** Its still in super-alpha at the moment **

Myself along with a coworker are tinkering around with producing a simple to-do application utilizing Google AppEngine, Google Code (link to our project), and JQuery.

At the moment a VERY basic interface is available and some simple back-end plumbing has been done for the main model (ToDo objects).

I am fairly proud of my simple Actionizer code. Basically, since AppEngine doesn't use a DB but really uses Big Table ... I wanted to expose some simple actions for each of my models so that AJAX calls could easily update the models, delete, and add. Not wanting to bolt on a larger framework which would already have the functionality but not teach me nearly as much Python, I decided to roll my own.

Thus the Actionizer class. Create an instance with the actions you want to give your models and then actionize any/all of your model objects. The Actionizer will produce the appropriately named URL actions and piping along with functions to produce request handlers to handle each model's actions.

Not ground breaking stuff, but not bad for just a couple of hours tinkering around with Python.

If you have any suggestions/thoughts/criticism/would like to help
... please let me know.


** In working on this side project ... I realized it would be nice for our purposes to have AppEngine monitor our Google Code poject for commits and when one is sent, to redeploy the app directly from the repository. Allass I can't find a way to do this yet, its not formally supported and no one on StackOverflow knows how to either.

No comments: