Sunday, August 24, 2008

Project Euler

Some days I feel dumb

Well, no dumb ... just not as smart as I did in college ... learning new things and pushing my brain everyday.

Queue Project Euler.

The site has a couple hundred math/computational problems to solve. All (that I have read) are math based but don't require just mathematical proofs to solve. Most can be simplified through mathematical reasoning, but will require you to write an algorithm to solve (ideally under a minute). If you find an answer you can check it online and if its right (and maybe even if it isn't) see someone's real solution and a forum to discuss the problem.

I have done several of these over the past week or so and give me a nice problem for my brain to munch on in the background while I am at work or mowing the lawn.

**I have posted some of my solutions/thoughts about the problems in a Google Notebooke here if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

Jeff Scudder said...

I tried this out too one evening, but I lost steam around number 4. I should really get back to this, interesting problems.

Benjamin P Lee said...

I am in the same boat. I just need to get it into my routine and not let myself get so hung up on finding a perfect solution to one that I burn myself out.