Thursday, May 22, 2008

Long time update

A lot has gone on in my life during the 2 months between the last post and this ... but I won't go into it all. Basically, I started a new job that is a ton more exciting and which I love ... but which doesn't leave me with tons of free time during the day to surf the web and write up posts (which I am great full for). The only problem is that now I have much less time to post and much more interesting tech stuff to write about.

I am going to try and actually post semi-reguarially about the stuff I am doing at work and in my free time.

That being said .....

At work I am currently in a holding pattern on my primary project (waiting on the client). For the past several weeks we have been developing a pair of web service implementations and server code for a government contract to aid the National Sex Offender Public Registry. Its been some very interesting work:

  • learning more about web services
  • TDD+pairing every day
  • comparing our Java and .Net implementations
  • getting to work in .Net for the first time
  • writing our test harness code in Ruby
  • trying to code in C#, Java, and Ruby within the span of 5 minutes and having semi-colons in the right places
While we wait on some decisions by the client and find out what they think of our work so far, my pair and I are helping out another group update some internal application code written in Ruby on Rails. I did some very similar work my first couple weeks before the NSOPR project started up and its going well.

Other than work I am working on a small personal project related to word searching and an online game, bouncing ideas around and trying to help out the Brain Trust (you know who you are) and as of today trying out Google's AppEngine framework as I work through their tutorial and consider writing up an app to try and solve the problem we discussed here.

Wish me luck

No comments: